Colonel James D. Bennett and Lt. Colonel William W. Ward organized the 9th Tennessee Cavalry on September 1, 1862. It was comprised of boys who knew that the Conscript Act would force them into service at age eighteen and men who had already served their one-year enlistment or had been discharged for other various reasons.
The 9th Tennessee Cavalry (Biffle’s) regiment was redesignated as the 19th Tennessee Cavalry regiment in 1864.
The Confederate War Dept. in Richmond ordered Biffle’s regiment to change its designation to the 19th since another Western Tennessee Cavalry regiment had been given that designation earlier.
Even still, the unit continued to be known as the 9th or as “Biffle’s 9th Tennessee Cavalry” even until its surrender in 1865.
Once mustered into Confederate service, the Regiment was assigned to duty in the Army of Tennessee and it continued to be so until late in 1864. It then joined the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana and served there for the duration of the war.
They rode primarily under General Forrest during most of the war.